A PRAYER FOR THE OPENING SESSION IN THE KANSAS STATE SENATE
When Reverend Joe Wright was asked to open the new session of the Kansas
Senate, everyone was expecting the usual generalities, but this is what they
"Heavenly Father, we come before you today to ask Your forgiveness and to
seek Your direction and guidance. We know Your Word says, "Woe to those who
call evil good" but that is exactly what we have done. We have lost our
spiritual equilibrium and reversed our values.
- We confess that we have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and
called it Pluralism;
- We have worshiped other gods and called it multi-culturalism;
- We have endorsed perversion and called it alternative lifestyle;
- We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;
- We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare;
- We have killed our unborn and called it choice;
- We have shot abortionists and called it justifiable;
- We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building
- We have abused power and called it politics;
- We have coveted our neighbour's possessions and called it ambition;
- We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it
freedom of expression;
- We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called
- Search us, Oh! God, and know our hearts today; cleanse us from every sin
and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have been sent to
direct us to the centre of Your will."
The response was immediate. A number of legislators walked out during the
prayer in protest. In six short weeks, Central Christian Church, where Rev.
Wright is pastor, logged more than 5,000 phone calls with only 47 of those calls
responding negatively. The church has international requests for copies of this
prayer from India, Africa, and South Korea.
Back to top